Sunday, January 30, 2011

This morning we're having Coke Zero with Olivia Badenhorst to get to know her better

My interest in quilting grew when I saw my friend, Christine, cutting up perfectly fine pieces of material and sewing them back together to produce the most marvellous pieces of craftsmanship that I have ever seen.  I started with a beginner’s course and also got divorced in 2007 after a marriage of 17 years. 

After the beginners course I was invited to join Needles & Pins.  In this time our group made a “rytjies-kwilt” that was designed by Iessie.  Marie from PFAFF (thanks again Marie!) spent an hour with me choosing my colours and material for the quilt.  http://www.mariessewingcreations.co.za/

This quilt helped me through all the stages of grief:  shock, denial, anger, guilt, sorrow and acceptance of my failed marriage. I entered the quilt in the Bloemfontein show and to my surprise I won first prize for a beginner.  All of a sudden I did not feel like a total failure anymore!  For the first time I felt I deserved my place in Needles and Pins.  Thanks to each and everyone at Needles and Pins for your support during the ”worst time in my life” and at the same time the “best moment” in my life!

In 2008 Christine and I went quilt fabric shopping in Johannesburg. On our way back (after stopping at Habby and Lace in Vereeniging) Quilt Cottage was born! 

As I have a full time job at Cowan International (recruitment in the mining industry) and a label printing (Lots-O- Labels by Olivia) business at home, Christine is Manager, “Chief Cook and Bottle Washer” at Quilt Cottage.  (Thank you Christine!)  Quilt Cottage stock lovely fabric from Moda to Shwe Shwe fabric and every needle work gadget you can think of.  Christine also has the wonderful gift of patience and makes time to help a customer with choices and/or difficult decisions.  We present an exciting course every term and now have this wonderful Blog to advertise on.  So, keep your eye on the Blog and come and visit us at 16 WEG Louw Street, Langenhoven Park! 

Q:   In short tell us a little about your family:
A: I have a 13 year old daughter in Oranje, an 8 year old son in Grey and two dogs (no particular breed – mother is a dog and father is a dog). My children are very sporty and therefore I am always on my way (with sandwiches and water and the smell of sun block) to one or other sport event.

Q:  Are you a morning or night person?
A: Definitely a morning person.  I (try hard to!) go for a walk early every morning.  This is the time I feel closest to God, prepare myself mentally for the rest of the day, think of everything I am thankful for and just let my mind drift off and dream of a better life.

Q:  Which do you prefer – sweet or salty snacks?
A: If you look at my picture – definitely both!

Q:  Do you collect anything and what?
A: At the moment I am collecting antique light green glass bottles. I am stacking them up in an old wooden Coca-Cola display stand I bought. 

Q:  If you could be any animal, what would you be?
A: A cat!  I don’t particularly like cats, but I would love to be one. They look so calm and serene and at peace with the world.

Q:  What is your favorite color?
A:  Dark green and maroon and biscuit and cream.

Q:  Do you believe in ghosts?
A: Yes. I believe there are spirits around us that have not come to rest yet.  I believe they have unfinished business and comes to rest as soon as they have dealt with the problem that keeps them “alive”. No joke!

Q:  Do you have any other hobbies apart from quilting?
A: I have just bought a piano and are finding out about piano lessons for “not-musical-at-all-adults”.  I am also working on a love story in my head that I would like to pin down on paper and have published one day.  Before that I would certainly have to take a course in creative writing, but in the meantime I can dream!

Q:  Have you even been addicted to a computer/video game and which one?
A: Yes – Pacman!  200 years ago, my boyfriend and I blew all our pocket money on the Pacman game at the Café on the corner. The addiction stopped when the machine broke.

Q:  Name ONE bad habit you have and are aware of.
A: I have no control of my facial expressions and everybody and anybody can see exactly what I feel and think.  I am working on it!

Q:  What do you regard as your best personality trait?
A: I am friendly and positive and can keep a secret!

Q  Are you mostly a messy or clean person?
A: Clean, but I thrive in chaos!

Q:  If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
A: Alaska.  I am planning on going there for my honeymoon, but I still have to meet the future husband first!

Q:  What is your favorite drink?
A:  Coke Zero.

Q:  What is your favorite gift to receive?
A: Anything.  A gift is always appreciated no matter what it is.  A nice compliment is also seen as a gift.

Q:  Which type of gift do you like the least?
A: Flowers.  Reminds me of funerals and death.

Q:  If you could change your name, what would it be?
A: I love my name and would not like to change it.

Q:  Name one thing not many people know about you
A:  I am superstitious and always put my left shoe on first.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun short courses

A few of the OQG's members attended two short courses presented by Ina Meyer.    Fabric flowers Create depth with inktense pencils. Prou...