Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We had the one and only Marilyn Pretorius in Bloemfontein!!

I do hope a few of you at least missed my babblings on the blog – ha! What a pretty name for anyone in need of a blog……. ‘My babblings on the blog’.  Cute? Then take it and make it yours!

Honestly, I did not miss writing on the blog for the last 2 days as I had FUN,FUN,FUN!!!!!  National teacher, Marilyn Pretorius, graced dearest old Bloemfontein with her presence and I had the honor of being a student in her class.
The one and only Marilyn
Now for those of you who read my personal blog, will remember I had somewhat of a panic attack when I got my list of ‘ingredients’ to have for the class.  I did not have a cooking clue to what some of the fabrics (only found out later that the foreign words were different types of fabrics) were and once I begged, stole and borrowed most of these, I knew I could not afford to get hooked as I simply don’t have any space to store all these.
From L to R:  Annette, Amanda, Réne, Marilyn
So looking like a ‘Voortrekker’ with all my baggage I arrived in class on Monday and got to meet the famous, Marilyn.  What a world of knowledge this soft spoken lady has.  She kept feeding our brains with different techniques, ways of doing things, things we should start collecting in future, things we should not be throwing away, tips and tricks on making THAT winning quilt to such an extent that Marilyn herself, by the afternoon, said it seems as if my lights were dimming. 
From L to R:  Janine, Karin & Nelia in front
I simply could take in just a certain amount and then my brain started swimming in my head and yes, needless to say, sitting outside has now turned into searching for shimmering sweet papers someone else might have dropped, a burning cigarette now scorches silk fabrics beautifully and drinking is no longer a sin as we need the wine corks and the Richelieu brandy nets.
From L to R: Nelia, Delmarie, Marianne, Blossom
Marilyn also brought along the most beautiful hand painted fabric and kits and for short periods during the class we pretended to be in a shopping mall and went bonkers shopping.  Kits for this lovely scatter cushion were also on sale – mine will be turned into a bag.
We also got to meet another charming lady whom started out to be Marilyn’s body guard, got demoted to tea girl soon afterwards and then turned saleslady galore.  It was just as nice to have you here Blossom (Marilyn’s sister) and thanks so much for my ‘Marilyn purple’ “blommetjie” (crochet flower).
From L to R:  Karin, Delmarie & bodyguard Blossom
So to everyone, who missed out on these 2 wonderful days, keep watching for the completed projects at the guild meetings.  Nelia, Marianne, Iessie, tannie Magriet , Amanda, Delmarie, Réne, Janine, Annette and Karin all promised to have theirs at the November meeting.

I could however not make that promise for you all know very well, writing the blog takes up a lot of my time and reorganizing my sewing room to make space to accommodate my latest ‘Marilyn addiction’ is not making life any easier – ugh!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Marilyn, we had a ball – fused bulbs or not!  And don’t you forget the promised blog you are going to start for us to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

First General Meeting 2024-2

The first general meeting of 2024 was packed full of miscellaneous demo's as well as the Voices in Cloth  presentation and kept the audi...