Sunday, February 6, 2011

Let's quickly run in by Iessie Steenberg



I don’t think I have to introduce Iessie to anyone in the guild but let’s get some history on one of our ex chairpersons and very competent and capable coordinator of our National Festival in 2013.

As a sick child she had to mostly stay indoors and her mom kept her busy by giving her small sewing projects to make.  She had to make quilts for her dolls from Crimpline fabric and most of these consisted of blocks such as the Grandmother’s Flower Garden and Suffolk Puffs (Yo-Yo’s).

With the revival of quilting and patchwork in South Africa in the 80’s she started buying books and taught smaller groups.  Then their family spent a year in the United States of America and this broadened her horizons and gave her the courage to go bigger.

She regards herself as crafty land enjoys most any handwork such as mosaic, jewelry making, scrapbooking, crochet, knitting, sewing and many more.

Q:   In short tell us a little about your family:
A:  I have a husband (and like him a lot).  Eldest daughter, Lia, married (or not) to Andre.  Two little grandsons, Joshua and Jaden (hooligans when in a shop). Youngest  daughter, Andra, (being away from home does her good).

Q:  Are you a morning or night person?
A: I think I am an early morning till late night person.

Q:  Which do you prefer – sweet or salty snacks?
A: I  must like salty snacks because sweet snacks are not kind to my body measurements.

Q:  Do you collect anything and what?
A: Like all other quilters, I am a collector of fabric.

Q:  If you could be any animal, what would you be?
A: A tortoise, mainly for the ready- to-go house.

Q:  What is your favorite color?
A:  Green and purple (and blue).

Q:  Do you believe in ghosts?
A: No, I have been waiting a whole night for one and did not see it.

Q:  Do you have any other hobbies apart from quilting?
A: Jip, just do not know how to spell it every time -  should it be hobby or hubby?

Q:  Have you even been addicted to a computer/video game and which one?
A: Jip, some “bolletjies” that Hettie showed me.

Q:  Name ONE bad habit you have and are aware of.
A: I snore so loud that I am always convinced it is my husband snoring.

Q:  What do you regard as your best personality trait?
A: I think I am organized, because I write everything down in my diary.

Q  Are you mostly a messy or clean person?
A: Definitely clean, and don’t listen to what anybody else tells you.

Q:  If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
A: New Zealand or Australia, to attend some quilting classes.  I am sure I do not want to go East, because I am afraid they will catch me and put me for fish on the menu.

Q:  What is your favorite drink?
A:   I like coffee best as I drink about 11 cups per day.

Q:  What is your favorite gift to receive?
A: Anything not edible is a good.

Q:  Which type of gift do you like the least?
A: Chocolate -  for its mean trick afterwards.

Q:  If you could change your name, what would it be?
A: Something un-pronounceable.

Q:  Name one thing not many people know about you
A: Not many people know that I am actually a very quiet person.

Hands up anyone who believes the last answer?  No-one?  I thought so.  Sorry Iessie we know you too well.

Hettie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun short courses

A few of the OQG's members attended two short courses presented by Ina Meyer.    Fabric flowers Create depth with inktense pencils. Prou...