Friday, March 18, 2011

We talked to Karien du Plessis, the lady with the Gammill quilt machine


Karien ‘n member of the ‘Kreatiewe Lappies’ in Smithfield started quilting after seeing a demo done by Iessie Steenberg.  When she doesn’t quilt for herself, she does free motion quilting on her Gammill quilt machine for others and helps hubby with the bookkeeping on their farm.
Q:   In short tell us a little about your family:
A:    My husband farms with merinos approximately 17 km from the Gariep Dam in the Bethulie district.  They have 3 boys, Charel in Gr 8 and twins in Grade 6.

Q:  Are you a morning or night person?
A:  Let me put it this way, I go to bed early and don’t like getting up when it is still dark but once the sun is out I am very productive.

Q:  Which do you prefer – sweet or salty snacks?
A:  Salt

Q:  Do you collect anything and what?
A:  Ideas and techniques that I’d like to test on my Gammill

Q:  If you could be any animal, what would you be?
A:  She sees herself as a caracal but would like to be a dove.

Q:  What is your favorite color?
A:    Blue but when quilting I use maroon.

Q:  Do you believe in ghosts?
A: Yes

Q:  Do you have any other hobbies apart from quilting?
A:  I make coffee table books as well as DVD’s with music and photos.

Q:  Have you even been addicted to a computer/video game and which one?
A:  No but to a quilt forum – Machine quilting resource

Q:  Name ONE bad habit you have and are aware of.
A:  I am extremely critical

Q:  What do you regard as your best personality trait?
A:  . I try to accommodate people as they are and even if I don’t like someone I still believe that I can learn something from that person

 Q  Are you mostly a messy or clean person?
A: I am untidy but knows exactly where everything is.

Q:  If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
A:  France on a bicycle

Q:  What is your favorite drink?
A:    Ordinary English tea - Trinco

Q:  What is your favorite gift to receive?
A:  Bubblebath

Q:  Which type of gift do you like the least?
A:  Jewelry, I prefer to select it myself.

Q:  If you could change your name, what would it be?
A:  Chriselee

Q:  Name one thing not many people know about you
A:  I hate it if all the attention is on me.

Sorry about this post then Karien but today ALL the attention is JUST ON YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun short courses

A few of the OQG's members attended two short courses presented by Ina Meyer.    Fabric flowers Create depth with inktense pencils. Prou...